Wild Things

No, not the movie with Matt Dillon, Neve Campbell, and Denise Richards. Entertaining, not everyone's cup of tea necessarily (don't forget the infamous threesome scene). I was recalling  the book by Maurice Sendak Where the Wild Things Are. Check them both out, they are memorable in their own ways 😏.

This post is about the children's book that peeks in-and-out of my life since beginning to read. I will always carry fond memories of it, especially watching the live action Spike Jonze film with my parents and brother (aka our "Max" lol). As lovers of the book, we made an evening out of the viewing, ending at  Sweet Tomatoes (RIP). We all had a lot to say after the movie, but ultimately felt it captured what we loved about story. 

I have many concurrent themes like it, especially in my posts thus far (self-esteem, anxiety, growth). Personal obstacles, I am working on as an adult, oddly similar to lessons I've learned as a kid from Max.  I can relate to a book about a child acting out; to feel heard and understood by his family and world. We should be brave and experience life. Max learned first hand how wild things really can be. I am lucky to  have less of those worries, to have a welcoming family, home, and supper waiting for me, like the end of the book. 

Spoiler: It was still hot



We must be at peace, or a little crazy, to try and navigate this earth, so fragile, as we are. Like birds, we are supposed to start life by leaving the comfort of our nest on this blind flight of passage with reckless abandon. "Be Wild" I hear them say. I prefer the safety and warmth of my nest. I know I can always fly back to it, and I have. It's scary out there on your own. Take control and take flight, make mistakes, be wild.

Maybe we shouldn't try and tame life. The raw and frightening moments of wild create the spectacular calm, and serenity in those moments of peace. Alternate between your own Buddha and Max.  

Drive by and throw another log on the fire, and "let the wild rumpus begin!"









Comments

  1. I love everything about this, Rob. Such warm memories of reading WTWTA to you both as children, and then watching the movie as adults. The tug of war between wild and control is a constant struggle (my Fantastic Mr. Fox a prime example) that, in my opinion, should always remain so. This quote from a novel I just finished last night is so relatable, albeit tangential:
    "There’s a particular feeling in your body when something goes right after a long time of things going wrong. It feels warm and sweet and loose... For a moment all my bees have turned to honey."
    Lily King, Writers & Lovers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts