One of my all-time favorite movies is Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Audrey Hepburn stars as Holly Go-Lightly, an eccentric woman who is trying to hide from her past and create a new one, but has lost herself in the process. Who can't relate?

She has a companion "Cat" (literally a cat, named cat) in the movie. Not her pet. She believes that they have no right to own one one another. I named my dog after my love of this this movie. i didn't name her "Tiffany", or "Dog", but Holly. It has a double meaning as I got her around the "Holly'-days and she wears a dress with the Holly flower on Christmas (judge me, im judging myself). She IS my pet, I do own her, but she is my companion and has brought so much to my life and helped me through many a strenuous time.

 I think about this scene in the movie where she describes her attempt at disconnection, putting up walls, as she calls "the mean reds". A feeling of frustration and despair, with anger and sadness. It is emotion without logic, and very real when you feel in that place.



Those moments serve us no purpose. They are usually counterproductive, and in general not good for us. So what happens when you feel a case coming on?

You get your ass on stage, and sing the damn blues!

A playful reminder of all the things that can appear to be in their place, yet still go terribly wrong. You have to sit back and laugh sometimes at the absurdity of life. The course of things, or the night itself, can switch on a dime.


One of my other favorites, Adventures in Babysitting with Elizabeth Shue as the lead Chris Parker. This movie has become my standard scale for "did I reeeallly have a bad day?" Her character dealt with every obstacle that came her way like the pro babysitter we all knew she could be. She didn't ask for any of it, nor deserve it. She just wanted to go on a date with a boy she liked. In the process her mom's car got shot up (one of many comedic tragedies that night would have instore, and Brenda's probably dead 😮).

I wanna sing the blues as a way of getting things out, even though I am hardly a musician (more of "Active Listener" as some would say 😉). Release those mean reds.

 🎶"Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues"🎶. 

We all should try and get out of that place. It's a great way of venting and channeling those emotions. 

🎶"There are nights, I swear you were born to lose... and you wish your feet were walkin' in some else's shoes"🎶.

 I am aware some things are out of your control, and just happen when they are supposed to. Maybe the timing isn't always right, we are just getting in-tune with the universe. Accept it, acknowledge it, and move-the-fuck-forward.

I am still can't take my own advice and keep thinking about this, and the current improvements I am making in my own life. Who can say what is around the next corner? You cannot predict the future, but you can weigh your odds. Finding this new balance for me is crucial. It is at it's core making better decisions, but some days just don't go according to plan. So what's the next best decision? 

Lemme know when you find out. over-thinking is tough work.

Drive-by and throw this movie on. Sing your Blues, because in comparison to Elizabeth Shue, how bad was your day really? And (spoiler alert!) she got her date at the end 😁.














Comments

  1. Such wise observations. Don't give up. You are an amazing person, you deserve love, and I have no doubt there is someone out there worthy of you. As Dr. Tom said recently on Being Erica:
    “Whatever your past has been, you have a spotless future.” ~ Melanie Gustafson

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts