Don't call me Bert.

Drag queens have become the Sesame Street for gay culture, the questioning youth, and some of us old folks who struggled with coming out, and accepting ourselves later in life. What Rupaul once said was "don't let your inner saboteur ruin who you become". It's kinda the same Idea I was trying to express in a previous post, but she said it better. Helping the LGBTQ community deal with personal issues she herself faced, gave a purpose to the pain.

One of these tools was being aware of the self-sabotaging person that lives within all of us (Gay or Straight). The idea was to name these constructs. To some people it gives them more power, but I feel it gives us more control. It's also important to know when to tell that inner voice to "Shut the fuck up".

I am a Robert. I always say "Call me Rob, Robby, Robert if I am in trouble, but I am never, ever, a Bert".

I named my inner saboteur "Bert"😂

He is a grumpy, negative, over-thinker, and a lot of the things I do not want to be. 

I am not an Oscar. Though I can be extremely cynical, it's not something I want to do constantly, nor do we need more "Oscars" in our lives. I prefer my beautiful yet over-priced apartment to a garbage can (still exploring the whole tiny house movement) for now. But I am not above the wisdom of Oscar. 

The simple act of naming that voice in your head gives you power over it.

I have a great group of friends who have fun with their own alter egos. Some can be a little much, but they "come out" when these people want/need a break from reality. Whether it be after a few drinks, or a bad day, or want to let loose, I support it. 

I am aware of how silly this may sound, but it helps me. Most of the "advice" I give on my blog is really just me talking things out in my head, or writing it down. It gives me my own personal purpose to these words. Maybe it will stick with anyone reading, and become something you carry with you.

Let your alter ego out to play. It is part of you. I will always be a little bit Bert, but he is loveable in his own way too. I hope I can point you towards something that may resemble a Sesame Street, but I've never been good with directions.


Drive-by and throw some garbage Oscar's way. He's always looking to renovate. 






Comments

  1. Whew, don't we all have an inner saboteur?!? (even at the ripe old age of 66... :-) Working hard to do an end-around with mine as well, and hoping it sticks this time.

    Rob/notBert, each post of yours is a constant source of delight, amazement, and a little bit of heartbreak for me. Blogging is such a great tool for self-awareness, isn't it?

    I'm not gay (although I do have a girl-crush on Brandi Carlile!), and I believe my Sesame Street alter-ego is Abby: she believes in magic, she speaks dragonfly, and she wears a purple skirt... :-)
    https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Abby_Cadabby

    I've always preferred those Muppets over anything Disney-related any day... <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts