"We seek harm to none and harmony to all." - Amanda Gorman

I loved this specific line, from the Inaugural Poem "The Hill We Climb" at the Biden/Harris Inauguration of 2021, and said Poet Laureate. It is about a wide array of subject matter spoken with an abundance of awe-inspiring alliterations, but really how we overcome, heal, and change as we begin to climb this hill together.

This post will not be about social change, or measure up in any way to her beautiful words for the potential projections of prosperity. My purpose of the actual quote was Harmony. It is a grand idea, but what does it mean to us as individuals? How is it accomplished, and where does it start?

I am challenging myself to make big changes this year, for the world I live in, and the world I leave to my nephew and those beyond "me". I fundamentally feel I am on the *right* side of history, but I could do more to be a part of the process. I have begun to realize that harmony is my new personal goal, and everything is connected. Realizing how daunting that task actually is, has reminded me that we (I) need to start at home.

I have been tackling new random projects throughout my home life currently as a first step. I feel like harmony has to start there on a basic level. Where you sleep, eat, live, is a physical harmony. Check ✔ (kind of lol) That's been the easier part (and still needs work), but now comes organizing your brain, and the mental/emotional harmony.  One thing at a time.  Like the garage you kept piling things into, but aren't ready yet to have a garage sale, it is a place to start. I am calling it, the Feng Shui of my mind. I'm not necessarily purging, but everything should have a place right?

In this search for copious cleansing, and clarity I've learned to be patient. Growth does not happen instantly, so I am tidying up my mind. Cleaning before the maid comes, if you will. The small things are connected, and easily accomplished, even if aiming for the larger mess. Pay attention to your pronouns (they aren't that hard), be kind to one another, don't be wasteful, etc. Just thinking beyond yourself in simple acts and adjusting behaviors, habits, or even the position of your bed slightly, can have a shockwave of effects.

I've moved furniture and felt the force of the flow of energy change. I've got room it seems for a love seat now, but still, no place for harm in my home. My harmony has started with small changes in my space. I don't have homeowner's manual, no tips on home decor, nor a doormat that says a profound pun about my abode, it's just "Me, Myself, I". For now.

Drive by throw some pillows my direction, it's Feng Shui, and a lot more fun when you do it together.








Comments

  1. I must confess that I have been jonesing for your next post, but this was definitely worth waiting ten days for. In the words of Batman, or at least the sounds of his fighting: "Pow! Bam! Zap!". First of all, I want to be Amanda Gorman when I grow up. A Youth Poet Laureate, at 22, put power to poetry, and now her two upcoming books, not even published until September 2021, are on the New York Times Bestsellers List... <3

    Mahatma Gandhi said, “Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.” I can sense your efforts at total alignment from across town, and they make me sigh, and smile... :-)

    Lastly, Joan Armatrading is always a perfect musical choice!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts